PROCEDURE FOR PERSONS RESIDING OVERSEAS REQUIRING A JAMAICAN POLICE CERTIFICATE
The Jamaica Constabulary Force ( JCF ) provides a Police Certificate ( commonly called Criminal Clearance Certificate or A Police Record ) at a cost to both Jamaican nationals and foreign nationals who have resided in Jamaica.
Content of Police Certificate
The Police Certificate bears the background of each applicant and indicates whether or not an individual has any convictions recorded against him/her in Jamaica.
The following must accompany each application for a Jamaican Police Certificate :
- A Cover letter, addressed to the Senior Superintendent of Police and signed by the applicant, requesting the Certificate and stating the reason the Police Certificate is needed, e.g. for a work permit or permanent residence application etc.
- A full set of fingerprints which should be taken by the authorised police department in the country in which one currently resides. The set of fingerprints must be stamped and signed by an authorised individual in the police department or any other authorised Agency.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s valid passport bio-data page. The certification should be done at the nearest Jamaican Embassy, High Commission, Consulate General or Honorary Consulate. If this is not possible, then a Notary Public may be used.
- Two (2) recent passport size photographs which must not be signed or sealed.
- An International Money Order in either United States Dollars (U$). This should be drawn in the amount equivalent to the Jamaican processing fees (stated below) and made payable to the Commissioner of Police:
The following processing times do not include the time taken to transmit the document, the processing time begins on the day the application is received by the Technical Services Division.
- Normal Service - Twenty-one (21) Working Days – U$26.00.
- Express Service - Five (5) Working Days – U$51.00
The application should be addressed to :
Senior Superintendent of Police
i/c Technical Services Division
34 Duke Street, Kingston C.S.O.
Ph: +1(876) 922 -3221 or +1(876) 922-0125
Applications submitted by Persons on behalf of the Applicant
For applicants residing overseas who designate an individual in Jamaica to submit an application or make payment for the service on their behalf, the following applies :
A certified letter of authorization must be provided if the police record application is to be submitted or collected by someone other than the applicant. The bearer must show photo identification.
- If the applicant does not have a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN), payment must be made at the Jamaica Constabulary Force Finance Branch, Ground Floor, NCB North Tower, 2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5, all documents and the receipt should be hand delivered to the Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office), 34 Duke Street, Kingston.
- If the applicant has a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN), payment may be made at any Inland Revenue Department (Tax Office) island wide, all documents and the receipt should be hand delivered to the Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office), 34 Duke Street, Kingston.
Application for Police Clearance Certificate ( Police Record Request Form )